Soldotna, AK – The Kenai River Brown Bears, proud members of the North American Hockey league, are proud to announce they have signed forward Brendan Cherwalk to a tender for the 2016-2017 season.
“It was a great opportunity for me to sign a tender with Kenai River,” said Cherwalk. “It is going to be a great experience and a huge step in my hockey career.”
The Michigan native has played in 27 games for Victory Honda U18’s this season and has recorded 15 points along with 47 minutes in penalties. Prior to this season, Cherwalk, who now is a 17-year-old, was on Victory Honda’s U16 team where he had 12 points in 30 games.
“Brendan is a player the Brown Bears have had their eye on for a long time now,” said head coach Jeff Worlton. “He has proved himself and we’re looking forward to the impact he will make for Kenai River.”
Cherwalk is eager to arrive in Soldotna. “I’m excited and looking forward to what Kenai River has to offer,” he finished.
This weekend, the Brown Bears are on the road to visit the Janesville Jets. Follow the Kenai River Brown Bears on Facebook (facebook.com/kenairiverbrownbears) and Twitter (@BrownBearsNAHL).
The Kenai River Brown Bears earned a hard fought victory on Saturday, by defeating the WBS Knights while on the road in PA.
Click to read the FULL ARTICLE
HAUSER MAKES NCAA D1 COMMITMENT
The Kenai River Brown Bears are pleased to report that goaltender Evan Hauser has committed to play his NCAA D1 college hockey at the University of Alaska Anchorage. Originally from St. Paul, Minnesota, Hauser played in 20 games last season for the Brown Bears after starting the season with the Great Falls Americans in the NA3HL.
The Brown Bears would like to congratulate Evan on his success, and we are excited to see him start his collegiate hockey career close by in Anchorage.
Click to read the FULL STORY
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE
The Kenai River Brown Bears of the North American Hockey League (NAHL) are actively seeking dynamic individuals to join our 2015-2016 fan experience team. As a member of the NAHL’s Midwest Division, the team plays its home games at the Soldotna Regional Sports Complex in Soldotna, Alaska.
Brown Bear Interns receive valuable hands-on experience within a sports organization, while having the chance to help behind the scenes and learn what it takes to run a successful program in the sports and entertainment industry. Internships are ideal for individuals who have interest in sales, marketing, public relations and sports management.
- Internships will be offered for the duration of the 2015-2016 Hockey Season
- No prior experience is required; however customer service, marketing or sales experience is preferred
- All candidates should be proficient with Microsoft Office, and possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Internship Program positions are un-paid; however commission based opportunities are available for some positions
- Applicants should have a flexible schedule to accommodate game day operations.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- The specific responsibilities for this position will be dependent on staffing needs and the particular skillset of the applicant. Activities may include: game-day and practice preparation, scheduling, video, statistics, equipment management, etc.
Game Day Operations
- Preparing on-ice ceremonies and intermission activities, in period promotions and game day giveaways
- Assisting with contestant signup and registration
- Guest Service Facilitation
- Assist the team with business operations and sales facilitation
- Assist front office staff with database management, presentations, and business development initiatives.
Ticketing and Merchandising
- Assist the team with the day to day ticketing and merchandising operations
- Will work at the Bears Home Games at the booth and/or merchandise booth
- Will also be asked to complete office hours assisting the team with day-to-day group sale operations
Public Relations and Marketing
- Work with front office and game-day operations staff on a variety of fan-experience initiatives
- Assist the staff in facilitation of the team’s marketing and promotional operations
- Assist on game days with the implementation of various promotional programs
- On game days assist to coordinate the contest sign ups, fan relations and work to promote various ticket packages and upcoming events to the fans
- Assist with player/mascot appearances
- Assist with booking and coordinating possible performers
- Assist with the production of media guides and game notes
- Assist with press releases and other media edits
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and current resume to Josh Romano, Director of Player Personnel: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brown Bears Begin Tryout Camp
The Kenai River Brown Bears kicked off their 2015-2016 Tryout Camp in Minnesota on Tuesday. 120 players from across North America are on hand this week to compete for a spot on this season's roster.
Camp information will be posted throughout the week on Facebok and Twitter, so check back often for updates.
OLDHAM SELECTED IN NHL DRAFT
The Kenai River Brown Bears would like to congratulate former Brown Bear goaltender Kris Oldham who was selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. Originally from Anchorage, Oldham posted an 11-6-2 record for the Brown Bears during the 2013-2014 season, before moving on this year to play for the Omaha Lancers of the USHL.
Click to read the FULL ARTICLE.
Brown Bears Take 8 Players in Draft
The Kenai River Brown Bears took full advantage of their draft position in Tuesday's 2015 NAHL Entry Draft, adding speed and goalscoring up front, and size and strength on the blueline. Overall the Bears selected 8 players in this year's draft, including:
1st Round – 2nd Overall Pick – Jeff Fasegha – Albany Academy
With the 2nd overall pick in the draft, Kenai selected 6'1, 195-pound forward Jeff Fasegha from Albany Academy. Originally from Calgary, Fasegha was a highly sought after recruit for the Canadian Junior Hockey system, but wanted to play in Kenai after meeting the coaching staff last month at the team's pre-draft tryout.
2nd Round – 27th Overall Pick – Thomas Keane – Chicago Mission
With the 27th overall pick in the draft, Kenai added size to their blueline, by selecting 6'3, 190-pound defenseman Thomas Keane from the Chicago Mission U18 program. Keane is an Illinois native, who spent the last two seasons playing competitive hockey in the High Performance Hockey League for both Team Illinois and the Chicago Mission.
2nd Round – 33rd Overall Pick – Marshall Barnes – Academy of Holy Angles
With the 33rd overall pick in the draft, Kenai selected 6'0, 190-pound forward Marshall Barnes from Minnesota. A playmaking forward, Barnes tallied 163 points in 98 games for the Academy of Holy Angles in Minnesota, while also leading Team Southwest in scoring this season in the Minnesota High School Elite League.
3rd Round – 56th Overall Pick – Croix Evingson – Cleveland Barons
With the 56th overall pick in the draft, Kenai selected 6'4, 210-pound defenseman Croix Evingson from the Cleveland Barons. Originally from Anchorage, Evingson tallied 13 points in 32 games this season with the Barons U18 team in the Tier-1 Elite League.
4th Round – 69th Overall Pick – Richie McCartney – NJ Titans
With the 69th overall pick in the draft, Kenai selected 5'11, 180-pound forward Richie McCartney from the NJ Titans. McCartney was in attendance last month at the Bears eastern pre-draft tryout, and had previously caught the attention of the coaching staff while skating this season for the Titans U18 team in the North American Prospects Hockey League.
6th Round – 113th Overall Pick – Gunnar Goodmanson – Buffalo High School
With the 113th overall pick in the draft, Kenai selected 6'0, 165-pound forward Gunnar Goodmanson from Buffalo High School in Minnesota. A strong skating goalscorer, Goodmanson tallied 50 points in 23 games during his senior season in Minnesota high school hockey.
6th Round – 121st Overall Pick – Fredrik Blomgren – The Gunnery
With the 121st overall pick in the draft, Kenai selected 6'1, 185-pound defenseman Fredrik Blomgren from The Gunnery. A native of Sweden, Blomgren spent the last 2 seasons helping to anchor the blueline for The Gunnery in the New England Founders League.
7th Round – 130th Overall Pick – Oscar Skiold – Sodertalje SK J20
With the 130th overall pick in the draft, Kenai selected 5'9, 155-pound forward Oscar Skiold from the Sodertalje SK J20 team in Sweden. A highly skilled, smooth skating forward, Skiold tallied 20 points in 35 games this season while skating in the Swedish Elite League.